South Marine Drive,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Spa Theatre opened in 1896 designed by architect S. Dyer. It burned down in 1906. Its replacement was designed by W.S. Walker of the architectural firm Broderick, Lowther and Walker who were based in Hull.
The proscenium arch is almost square with a central cartouche containing a mask. Seating is divided between stalls and single balcony, however the balcony is divided into two sections, with separate entrances and retains its wooden partition. A large dome in the centre of the ceiling contains some bas-relief figures.
The Spa survived intact a major fire which destroyed the adjacent Royal Hall (rebuilt) in 1932 – the Spa was closed for just a few weeks to clean up after smoke damage.
After the closure of the Winter Gardens/Coliseum Cinema the Spa Theatre was equipped with cinema facilities and when not used for live shows films were screened. The screen was flown in the fly tower when the stage was in use. However the opening of the awful Forum three-screen cinema ended the cinema usage of the Spa in 1996.
The proscenium is 9.14 mtrs wide, stage depth 5.79 mtrs.
It has recently undergone a massive re-furbishment and re-opened on 31st May 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater