Pathe Gaumont Cordeliers
20 Rue Thomassin,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in a very narrow side street off Rue de la Republique. The La Scala was opened in September 1880 and was built as a cabaret & live theatre to the plans of architect Claude Guillet. Seating was provided in orchestra and 4 balcony levels. It screened its first movie in 1906. Between 1919 and 1924 it specialized in short films, usually comedies starring stars such as Charles Chaplin. Around 1930 it was equipped for talkies.
In 1935 the cinema was renovated to the plans of architect Felix Brachet. Around 1937 it returned to live theatre use for a short time. In 1947 it was remodelled to the plans of architect Georges Peynet and had a total capacity of 1,259-seats, There were 678-seats in the orchestra, 311 in the corbelle and 270 in the balcony levels (the upper balcony had been sealed off). The cinema reopened on 24th December 1947. Around 1953/1954 it was equipped with CinemaScope. In 1959 it was renovated, again to the plans of architect Georges Peynet.
In 1970 the single-screen cinema was closed to be transformed into an 8-screen multiplex. It re-opened in 1974 with a screening of “Lacombe Lucien” directed by Louis Malle. The architects were Yannick Lecoq & Robert Solyom. It was operated by the UCG chain.
In 1985 it was taken over by Lucien Adria and was re-named NEF Scala. It re-opened on 24th December 1985. from 1994 on of the auditoriums went over to screening adult porn movies and the cinema was re-named Les 7 NEF.
In 2006 it was taken over by Pathe/Gaumont and was re-named Pathe Cordeliers. It was closed in 2016 after over 100 years of screening movies.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater