659-65 Washington Street,
12 people favorited this theater
Built on the site of the World Museum, later Layceum Theatre at the lower end of Washington Street near Boylston Street. The Gaiety Theatre was opened on November 23, 1908 with burlesque musicals. Seating was provided in orchestra, a curved first balcony and a straight-front steep gallery. By 1931 it had been taken over by E.M. Loews and had been renamed Gayety Theatre, presenting two movies plus 5 acts of vaudeville on stage. On January 1, 1944 the gallery seating area was closed following the introduction of a new safety code. In September 1946 it was renamed Victory Theatre following a refurbishment by E.M. Loews and played two feature films, but vaudeville had been dropped from the programing. In 1949 it was renamed Publix Theatre. Operating as a grind-run theatre. This one seemed to specialize to a great degree in programs of westerns. It was closed in the 1980’s and became a warehouse. It was slated for demolition in late-2004.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater