No one has favorited this theater yet
The Fawn Theatre was a silent theatre located in the Polytechnic Heights (aka the “Poly”) neighborhood in southwest Fort Worth. H.G. Cottar opened the venue on October 19, 1925. The opening film was Raymond Griffith in “Forty Winks”. It was not Cottar’s first theatre in the city though was his first neighborhood venture. Cottar had opened a downtown Fort Worth Theatre in 1907 and founded the fledgling and quickly-folding Citizens Amusement Circuit in the late-1910’s.
Cottar opened the Fawn Theatre near the “woman’s college for Southern Methodism” known in the 1920’s as Texas Woman’s College and, later, Texas Wesleyan College in the 1930’s and beyond. In 1926, Cottar would turn his attention to the Queen Theatre in downtown Fort Worth changing its name to the Ideal Theatre and leaving his son in charge of the Fawn Theatre.
Lee Westerfield purchased the theatre from the Cottars in December of 1926. He would move to Fort Worth only to be killed in a streetcar accident two week later. The Fawn Theatre never converted to sound and went out of business in 1929. It became a Masonic Lodge fraternal Hall in the 1930’s and a bowling alley in the 1940’s.
The building was converted to a retail store and was later demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater