San Carlo Theatre
235 Maple Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The San Carlo Theatre launched on December 31, 1907 with a live stage play. After beginning as a live performance venue, the San Carlo Theatre went full-time motion pictures in the 1910’s. The theatre closed but J.H. Hungerford reopened the San Carlo Theatre as a movie theatre on February 20, 1920 opening with William Farnam in “The Lone Star Ranger” and a two-reel Sunshine comedy.
But Hungerford bought the Gilmore building a month later dissatisfied with the San Carlo Theatre. He opened the Family Theatre on June 5, 1920 playing “The Rivers End”. The Family Theatre became the full-time movie theatre and the San Carlo Theatre switched back to live fare. The San Carlo Theatre closed at the end of a 30-year lease in 1937.
The city tried to purchase the venue but didn’t have enough buy-in to create a city auditorium. After years of inactivity, in 1943, Harold Huston bought the building and created a garage/factory/truck terminal.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater