67 Possil Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the district of Possil, to the north of the city centre, at the corner of Possil Road and Baird Brae. The huge Astoria Cinema was opened on 2nd February 1931. It was built for the A.B. King owned Astoria Cinema Ltd. company. The exterior bulk of the building was quite ugly, but the interior made up for that, being in an Art Deco style. The proscenium was 40ft wide, the stage 15ft deep and there were two dressing rooms. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system. Until 1938 it operated as a cine-variety theatre, and from then on went over to films only.
On 23rd April 1955 it was sold to Circuit Management Association (soon to be renamed the Rank Organisation). It was closed as a cinema on 19th November 1962 and became a Top Rank Bingo Club, which closed in March 1995. It was soon demolished. In 2021 the site is an overgrown empty plot of land.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater