Hermitage Road and Market Place,
No one has favorited this theater yet
In Hitchin, Hertfordshire, the Playhouse opened on Saturday 4th October 1913. Built for the Hitchin Amusement Company, the cinema had a narrow entrance next to the Corn Exchange on the busy Market Place, with patrons passing down a 70ft by 10ft corridor to reach the octagonal-shaped foyer, behind which was the auditorium, with stalls and balcony.
In the 1920’s, the Playhouse was acquired by the Blake family, who already operated the town’s Picturedrome/Blake’s Theatre then, in the mid-1930’s, it was acquired by the owners of the town’s Hermitage Cinema (see separate Cinema Treasures entries).
Early in 1935 it was renamed the Regal Cinema and, in the October a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system was installed.
Despite this expenditure, the Regal Cinema closed on 1st March 1937, supposedly for further alterations, but it never re-opened.
Presumably the auditorium has been demolished. After a variety of uses, the building fronting the Market Place, with the corridor alongside, was converted into a Pitcher and Piano pub.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater