Wellston Theatre

6226 Easton Avenue,
St. Louis, MO 63121

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 6 comments

thelivinglegend1930
thelivinglegend1930 on October 2, 2009 at 10:02 am

posted by JAlex on Sep 29, 2009 at 5:16pm

Thanks,smart JAlex
sorry we missed your other posted 450 plus remarks… on this site.

JAlex
JAlex on September 29, 2009 at 7:16 pm

As Yogi Berra reputedly said: “Deja vu all over again.”

thelivinglegend1930
thelivinglegend1930 on September 29, 2009 at 10:50 am

The Wellston Theatre was located on the south side of Easton Avenue, just east of Evergreen Avenue in the Wellston business area. The address was 6226 Easton Avenue (today Dr. Martin Luther King Drive., Wellston, MO 63133

There were two Wellston Theaters. The first one opened in 1922, it was destroyed by fire in April 1944. Capacity was 950.

The second Wellston Theatre opened in November 1945. It was designed by Hugo Graf. Capacity was 1319. The decline of the neighborhood and the closing of the stores in the loop doomed the theatre and it finally closed in 1978. The building was eventually demolished for a street extension.

The newer Wellston packed them in show after show. It was a real looker inside and out, with a large balcony and beautiful interior of plush red velvets and gold trim. The front facade was four large columns with a free standing box office located in the middle with a walkway to the main entrance. A terrazzo floor on the outside walkway lead into the same in the lobby. Brightly lit poster cases lined the walkway with tons of neon all along the ceiling and front of the theatre. the main lobby boasted a very large concession stand in the middle of the lobby and four auditorium doors behind it. There was a grand staircase on each side of the lobby leading to the balcony.

The Wellston Theater outlived the Victory by almost twenty years.

bbrown1
bbrown1 on July 20, 2008 at 4:39 pm

You can see a picture of the Wellston Theatre (along with the nearby Mikado/Victory)at the following site:

View link

JAlex
JAlex on November 27, 2006 at 7:12 am

Theatre ceased operation in October, 1962. Theatre eventually demolished for street extension.

JAlex
JAlex on May 7, 2004 at 10:53 am

In fact, there were two Wellston Theatres.

Original structure opened in 1921, but destroyed by fire in April 1944. Capacity was 950.

Second Wellston Theatre opened in November 1945. This featured stadium seating and was designed by Hugo Graf. One of the theatres operated by St. Louis Amusement. Capacity was 1100.