Brandt's Murray Hill Theatre

74 E. 42nd Street,
New York, NY 10017

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Showing 7 comments

StevenOtero
StevenOtero on August 28, 2017 at 9:55 pm

By October 1955 it was converted into a Horn & Hardart’s Automat.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on September 29, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Architected by John B. Peterkin as the Airlines Newsreel Theatre – sketch in photos.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on February 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm

The Airlines name makes even more sense now. Seating and location all match although the mailing address was once on 42nd street. This theatre opened on October 18, 1940 as the Airlines Newsreel and had the same publicity agent as the Grand central Newsreel inside the terminal.

From 1949 it was a late run double feature house. In February 1951, after the Loew’s 42nd Street (aka Murray Hill) had closed, this became Brandt’s Murray Hill.

Airlines and Murray Hill should be added as aka names.

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on December 14, 2009 at 6:46 am

The 1943 Film Daily Year Book lists a Newsreel Theatre at 74 E. 42nd street as well as the aforementioned Air Lines theatre at 42nd and Park.

Does anyone know if all three theatres were the same?

Al Alvarez
Al Alvarez on November 25, 2009 at 1:58 pm

This is listed as the AIR LINES theatre in the 1942 Film daily Year Book.

Gerald A. DeLuca
Gerald A. DeLuca on March 19, 2004 at 6:37 am

Could this have been the same place as the Grand Central Theatre which is listed elsewhere?