Anchor Hall Cinema
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Albany Ward Circuit
In Lydbrook, a village in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, the Anchor Hall, adjacent to the 15th century Anchor Inn, provided a meeting place in the early part of the 20th century.
A cinema was installed in 1914. This was operated by the Albany Ward company initially, then, by the early-1920’s, by F. Batten. Shows were once nightly.
The appearance of the Memorial Hall, which opened in 1926 and had begun showing films by the early-1930’s, at least (see separate Cinema Treasures entry), is presumably what caused the demise of the Anchor Hall Cinema. Its final appearance in the Kinematograph Year Books was in 1936.
It is not known what happened to the Anchor Hall. However, the Anchor Inn has been transformed into holiday accommodation aimed at large groups (there are eight bedrooms). So, even if something of the Hall remained until then, it is very likely to have been lost during this transformation.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.