17-19 Groat Market,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: E.J. Hinge Circuit
Previous Names: Royal Electric Theatre
Located in the city centre. A chemist shop operated by Ismay & Sons was converted into the Royal Electric Theatre by Newcastle based architect F.M. Dryden. It opened on 8th June 1908. In 1911 a raked floor was constructed and in October 1912 it became the first cinema in Newcastle upon Tyne to introduce continuous performances. By 1913 afternoon teas were being served to patrons. Seating was provided for 963, with 261-seats in the stalls, 305-seats in the pit and 397-seats in the circle.
In 1927 it was taken over by Stanley Rogers and following redecoration it reopened as the Palladium Cinema. It was equipped with a British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system. It played mainly (B) pictures and many Westerns. It still had its original gas secondary lighting. By 1937 it was operated by the E.J. Hinge Circuit.
The Palladium Cinema was closed on 30th September 1939. It went into use as storage and for many years it was a store for provision merchant Walter Wilson. It was demolished in April 1963 and Thomson Hose office were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.