Keith-Albee Performing Arts Center
925 Fourth Avenue,
13 people favorited this theater
When it opened on May 8, 1928, the Keith-Albee building had cost $2 million to erect, and the theatre seated 2,720. The theatre’s main floor held 1,520 people, and its massive balcony held 1,200. The theatre was equipped with a Wurlitzer theatre organ, which was removed in the 1950’s.
In the 1960’s two screens were added inside the auditorium and in the 1970’s a fourth screen was added in former retail space. A fire was just one of many challenges the movie palace has faced over the years, including a flood in 1937, mounting financial problems, and the wear and tear of time.
One of the last Keith-Albee Theatre’s in the country, this palatial theatre reopened in May 2001, after a three-month restoration of the main auditorium to repair damage from a fire that broke out next door to the theatre. At this time a 1927 Wurlitzer theatre organ was installed in the theatre. It was closed as a movie theatre in January 2006, due to competition from a newly opened multiplex cinema.
Now that the $400,000 restoration of 2006 is completed, the Keith-Albee Theatre is back in business and better than ever as a performing arts center. Recently in September 2008, work began to remove the two mini-theatres inside the original auditorium. Further renovation continues in 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater