516 Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Originally opening about 1910, the Majestic Theatre was primarily a vaudeville house. After the demise of vaudeville, it was used primarily as a movie house.
In 1936, the theatre was completely remodeled and renamed the Wisconsin Theatre. With this change came a significant number of improvements. Trane air-conditioning, Perfect Posture air cushioned chairs, and the latest in Western Electric sound systems. For the ladies, “an exquisite powder puff room”. A local newspaper article on the 1936 remodeling mentions a 58 foot high neon sign on the building, and a lobby trimmed in carrara glass with colored terrazzo marble floor of a modernistic design. The main lounge, powder room, and offices were accessible by two circular staircases located at either end of the main foyer which extended the entire width of the building. The architect for the 1936 remodeling was Perry E. Crosier of Minneapolis. The theatre was owned by the La Crosse Theatres company.
Just prior to World War II, the house appears to have been showing quite a number of westerns.
Sadly, the auditorium of the theatre was destroyed by fire in 1952. The office building, store fronts, box office and front canopy remained for a time.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater