Le Roy Theatre
32 Main Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Built originally as a bank around 1880, the conversion to the Le Roy Theatre took place in 1932 when Ralph Blouvet, who had been operating the Family Theatre on the south side of Main Street, purchased the Bank of Le Roy building and adjacent building and they were blended together to form the new theatre. By 1941, it was known as Kallet’s Le Roy Theatre, and was remodeled to the plans of architect Michael J. DeAngelis.
The Le Roy Theatre, after being closed for many years re-opened in 1992 but closed again in 1995. It re-opened again in 2000. Even under the Mattla’s ownership the Le Roy Theatre openings and closings have been bumpy. Most of this bumpieness, however, was to do with a contract concession dispute rather than a desire to keep the theatre operating.
In fact, the only reason the Le Roy Theatre is open today is because of the Mattla’s dedication and belief that the town needs a movie theatre. The fact that the owner is an electrician/builder who can repair almost anything also helps keep the doors open. The apartments in the theatre building complex plus the rental fee from the Living Waters Baptist church, who use the theatre for services every Sunday, also contribute positively to the theatre remaining open.
Today the Le Roy Theatre seats 425, down considerably from the original 700. Originally owned by the Kallets, the Le Roy Theatre eventually ended up as part of the Dipson chain for many years. Today, as mentioned above, the theatre is owned by the Mattla’s.
The Le Roy Theatre is now open only every other weekend and admission is just $1.00. When this submission was made in April 2004, the theatre was showing “Home On The Range”. In December 2005, it was taken over by the Living Waters Baptist Church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater