259 Avenue Gambetta,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built in the 30s this theatre was the last movie palace located in Paris still running in the 80s. In the 30s this was a movie palace of huge capacity for France (around 1000 seats).
Les Tourelles was owned by a suburban chain which became part of UGC chain in the 70s. The Art Deco design was kept unaltered through the years with an interesting ceiling and a nice lobby with movie stars' pictures on the walls. The proscenium was widened in the 60s in order to accomodate a wide screen for the 70mm prints with stereophonic sound.
In the 80s a project to refurbish the theatre and show first run movie was cancelled due to the bad location of the theatre. Then it started to fall into disrepair and sometimes as few as fifty patrons were lost among the stalls with one usher left and failing central heating.
The movie theatre closed in 1987 the name in big letters on the huge tiled facade vanished, the marquee is now advertising the name of the supermarket that Les Tourelles later became.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater