319 Montague Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Hoyts Park Theatre was opened at Albert Park, Melbourne, on December 26,1939 and was the last cinema on this circuit to be constructed with a balcony. From that point in time, any further cinemas were built in the stadium style.
The Park incoporated many features, the most unusual being its “revolving theatre organ”. The organ was a Hammond electronic and was placed in a niche on the right hand side splay wall. When the organ would play, it would simply appear out of nowhere behind gold crushed velvet curtain. It would then revolve back behind the curtain when the show started. It was removed in the early 1950’s.
Other features of this house was the South Sea Bar which was a concession stand based on a Fijian bamboo hut! Sound effects of ocean waves could be heard at the interval! The whole theatre was very stylish and was based on one of Harry Weedon’s Odeon theatres in England.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater