Ellis Theatre

1671 Ellis Street,
San Francisco, CA 94115

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Ellis Theatre

Opened as the Princess Theatre on August 31, 1907 with vaudeville. The April 1906 earthquake and fire which had devastated San Francisco had left the downtown area in ruins, and the Fillmore district became the new “downtown” for a while, resulting in several large theatres being built within a few square blocks of each other, among them the Princess Theatre and its next door neighbor, the Orpheum Theatre (later Garrick Theatre) (qv).

On October 14, 1935, the Princess Theatre re-opened as the Ellis Theatre and, as such, survived as a large, popular, third run Fillmore district house up until mid-1952 when the continuing deterioration of the neighborhood brought about its demise. It later became a church, and was finally torn down in the early-1970’s.

Contributed by Jack Tillmany

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 20, 2010 at 3:57 am

The Princess was one of five San Francisco theaters designed by the architectural firm of O'Brien & Werner (Matthew O'Brien and Carl Werner) that were listed in an ad for the firm in the 1907-1908 edition of Henry’s Official Western Theatrical Guide.

Will Dunklin
Will Dunklin on August 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm

The Princess Theatre got a tiny Wurlitzer pipe organ, opus 900, 2 manuals, 4 ranks, in 1924. The organ was moved to a church in 1931.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 3, 2013 at 2:13 pm

The April 27, 1911, issue of the City and County of San Francisco’s Municipal Recordreported that Samuel Loverich had been granted a motion picture permit for the Princess Theatre, Ellis Street.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 30, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Here is a 1907 postcard photo showing the Princess Theatre and its neighbor, the Orpheum, later to be called the Garrick Theatre.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 30, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Here is another photo showing the Princess/Ellis Theatre late in its history, during the 1960s, when it had become Mt. Zion Church.

From the same time period, the back of the theater, with the name Princess Theatre still painted on the stage house. Everything around it had already been demolished for an urban undo-all project, and the theater building would soon fall victim to the same folly.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 14, 2018 at 9:34 am

The October, 1907, issue of the trade journal Concrete had this item about the Princess Theatre:

“The Princess theater, just completed, enjoys the distinction of being the only theater structure in the city which is constructed entirely of reinforced concrete. It has a seating capacity of 1,600 and its total cost was in the neighborhood of $180,000.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater