Odeon Cardiff

55 Queen Street,
Cardiff, CF1

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Showing 9 comments

edithapearce
edithapearce on March 28, 2009 at 10:20 pm

In the early 1960s the Odeon possessed two Kalee 21 projectors. These powerful machines were the first to be coloured orange / yellow (all previous Kalee models had black crackle paint) and were considered easy machines to operate. The carbon feed being adjusted by a left and right controls in front of the machines.

Earlier Kalee arc equipment was adjusted by means of one control at the rear with the two adjustment wheels on the one shaft.It was difficult to make this adjustment and view the screen at the same time.

Ian
Ian on August 17, 2007 at 12:18 pm

A photo of the art deco circle foyer here:–

View link

geoffjc
geoffjc on August 16, 2007 at 10:10 am

During the period when sound had been installed in most of the local cinemas the Imperial described itself as “The home of the silent screen” and featured a live orchestra.

geoffjc
geoffjc on February 22, 2007 at 2:03 pm

Architects plans for the addition of a balcony were first submitted in 1935 by “The Elite Cinema Company” and appear to have been adopted and modified in the rebuilding for Odeon.
Photographs recently published from this period show some small differences in the completed building from the plans.

geoffjc
geoffjc on October 22, 2006 at 9:21 am

The Imperial as it was initially called had a troubled history and closed for a period in the late 1920’s.
Local proprietor Max Corne undertook a total redevelopment in 1934 but the new building was still on one floor and within a few months was acquired by the rapidly expanding Odeon chain.
In less than five months, further building work, adding a circle and installing the standard Odeon fittings took place. Surviving pictures and plans show how the practically new (New Imperial) building was altered while retaining some of the design of the architect’s previous building.
A published photograph shows the very steep projection angle, and the plans for the installation of the Cinemascope screen in 1954 are preserved. In the late 1950’s the local press reported a plan to close the Odeon which was Rank’s third cinema in Cardiff, often showing re-runs or taking on films from the Capitol or Gaumont for a further week; but it was the adjacent Gaumont (Empire) which actually closed in 1961.

Seating was improved in the 1970’s,with much greater legroom as well.

The twin Odeon involved building a new box (off-centre) at the rear of the former stalls area. Unusually, two projectors were still used for a time ,though the manageress had to apologise to the audience during a James Bond film for the unexpected interval required when one machine had failed.

Ian
Ian on December 19, 2005 at 5:12 am

Another exterior shot here
View link

and an interior shot here
View link

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on September 11, 2005 at 3:43 am

A 1971 exterior photograph of the Odeon, Cardiff here:
View link

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on July 9, 2005 at 7:17 am

The Odeon closed on 16th March 2000. It was demolished in January 2003 and two retail units built on the site, one of which is an HMV store.