Fox Orpheum Theatre

615 Good Hope Street,
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Fox Theatres (Reading, PA)

Architects: W.E. Farlow

Previous Names: Orpheum Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Fox Orpheum Theatre

Opened as the Orpheum Theatre in 1917. It became part of Fox Midwest Theatres chain in 1929. Another theatre that used to pack the people into the streets of downtown Cape. Ornate theatre with a good size balcony. Large lobby with a grand staircase to each side. The front had a large marquee with an upright ‘Orpheum’ sign. It was closed in February 1954 and was converted into retail use. It was demolished in 1993.

Contributed by Chuck Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on March 5, 2006 at 2:35 pm

Here is an article with some local history:
http://tinyurl.com/k6uxg

35divmp
35divmp on October 6, 2007 at 7:27 am

This was also the only theatre in town where the “colored” people could go, they had a “special enterance” in the alleyway.

spectrum
spectrum on November 26, 2010 at 1:52 am

From the Google maps it looks as if this theatre has been demolished. Nothing but a big empty lot.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 14, 2021 at 4:45 am

This web page about Cape Girardeau’s movie theaters says that A. H. Haas built the Orpheum in 1917. Here is a relevant item from Moving Picture World of December 30, 1916:

“CAPE GIRARDEAU. MO.— A. H. Haas has plans by W. E. Farlow, H. H. building, for a one-story moving picture theater 45 by 112 feet, to cost 118,000.”
The Orpheum, the first house in Cape Girardeau to be wired for sound, was taken over by Fox in 1929, closed in February, 1954 and converted for retail use the following month. The building was demolished in 1993.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.