2130 S. Congress Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Interstate Theatres Inc. & Texas Consolidated Theaters Inc.
Firms: MacKie & Kamrath
Functions: Office Space
Previous Names: Austin Theater
The Austin Theater opened August 18 1939 with “Stanley & Livingstone”. It was built by Interstate Theatres, and was the home of first run movies until the 1970’s. By the 1950’s it had become a second-run theatre and in the early-1970’s under new owners it operated as a Spanish language theatre. By the mid-1970’s, however, the theater and the surrounding area deteriorated and the Austin Theater was eventually closed.
In 1977, the theater was sold to a new owner who turned it into an adult movie theater. With the new format, the theater’s name was changed to Cinema West and it continued to show XXX-rated movies until it finally closed on October 31, 1998, amid deep complaints from residents.
The property was then sold to a new group who plans to turn the theater into office space to meet increased demand from local high-tech companies.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.