315 N. Phillips Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Orpheum Theatre, Sioux Falls (Official)
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
News About This Theater
- Sep 22, 2009 — Orpheum and State Theatres in Sioux Falls being renovated
The Orpheum Theatre opened on October 2, 1913 as a vaudeville house and originally had a seating capacity of 900. By 1933 it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary John Friedl. This elegant and beautifully-preserved theatre served in this capacity until 1954, when the Community Playhouse group acquired the Orpheum Theatre for its home.
Known for its superb acoustics, the theater receives over 100,000 visitors each year, and events there include plays, concerts, community events and private rentals.
The Orpheum Theatre is rumored to be haunted by a ghost who has been named named “Larry”, whose identity is unknown, but was thought to have been either a construction worker or stagehand in life.
The Orpheum Theatre was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.