781 Saratoga Avenue,
1 person favorited this theater
Located on the southwest corner of Saratoga Avenue & Livonia Avenue, in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn. The Bluebird Theatre was opened in January 1931. In 1935, it was converted into a synagogue, but reopened on January 29, 1937 as the People’s Theatre. In the 1930’s a movie executive made the observation that if producers wanted to send a message they should use Western Union. This was prompted by a trend of movies with a social message.
In the New York City area a few theaters specialized in movies with a left wing “progressive” slant. Some were made in Soviet Russia. The most notable one was located in Manhattan near Union Square where Soviet newsreels as well as pictures by Sergi Eisenstein could be seen.
In the Brownsville section of Brooklyn there was the People’s Cinema. It was located at Saratoga and Livonia Avenues. The people in the neighborhood tended to vote for more radical candidates in elections and so it would seem that this type of program was some what popular locally. It was definitely not a big draw in other areas of Brooklyn.
It closed in 1954, and in October 1954 was sold and converted into a Food King Supermarket. In 2011, a Fine Fare supermarket operates on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater