252 Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Grand Theater (Official)
Architects: Jerome S. Landes
Previous Names: Valley Theater
News About This Theater
- Sep 25, 2014 — Updated organ and silent films at the Grand
- May 27, 2014 — Historic Movie Theaters in Phila burbs still showing daily movies
- Sep 19, 2013 — Another Grand festival of silents
- Sep 4, 2013 — Philly Hotlist Final Days
- May 17, 2013 — A mix of new and old at the Grand Theater
- Apr 22, 2012 — Grand says farewell to film
- Oct 7, 2010 — Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) silent film at Grand Theater with Jeff Barker at Console
- Mar 31, 2010 — "Wizard of Oz" showings with Organ preshow at Grand Theater
- Jan 29, 2010 — Superbowl Sunday Special Show at Grand Theater
- Dec 4, 2009 — Grand holiday show & traditional free evening!
- Aug 18, 2009 — Roaring 20's theater continues to entertain
- Dec 2, 2008 — Grand Theater at 84 Years Old presents another Holiday Classic!
- Mar 13, 2008 — Cecil B. Demille's Ten Commandments at the Grand
- Dec 3, 2007 — Grand Theater presents "Miracle on 34th Street" and pipe organ preview
- Aug 2, 2005 — Classic Grand Theater Reopens
- Mar 7, 2005 — Cinema Equipment And Lights For Sale
- Sep 28, 2004 — Valley Theatre Saved; Will Reopen as The Grand Theater
East Greenville is in Philadelphia’s suburban Montgomery County, but in the Upper Perkiomen Valley, which is closer to Allentown than to Norristown.
The Grand Theatre opened October 4, 1924 under ownership of Blank & Fenstermacher. Fenstermacher (whose family owned the theatre until 1970) was the conductor of the East Greenville Orchestra, so there was no pipe organ in his theatre. The Grand featured a six-piece Grand Theatre Orchestra until talkies arrived at the theatre in 1929. The Grand was designed by architect Joseph S. Landes, who designed the Broad Theatre in Souderton, PA. and the Palace Theatre (now a store) in Quakertown, PA.
The name was changed name to Valley Theatre in the 1960’s when interior was ‘updated’ to 1960’s decor. The Valley closed in March 2004. It was uncertain the theatre would survive, as the auditorium ceiling started to collapse because of the need for roof repair. In August 2004, there were new owners who set about to restore the theatre. The auditorium’s original tin ceilings were reproduced, and the wood was restored. In the lobby, more tin was found behind the dropped ceiling.
The theater, now known as the Grand Theater again, has been restored to its 1924 appearance and reopened July 29, 2005. It features first-run movies with Dolby Surround 7.1 sound, classic movies, concerts and other live performances.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.