1610 Central Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
By the early-1940s “street car stops” were common in Charlotte. They were found in suburban areas across the city at the end of a line or at a major turn. Such a turn occurred at Central Avenue and a street named the Plaza. Many of the buildings at this “turn”, including an elementary school and the Plaza Theater, were designed by architect M. R. Marsh, of Hawkins-Kibler Associates. The trolly service ended in 1938 but the business district continued to grow for another 15 years.
The Plaza Theater opened in 1941 with “Alice Faye in "That Night in Rio”. Alton B. Carver listed as its manager. In 1956 the first shopping center opened in Charlotte. Shopping centers offered lots of auto parking, and the pedestrian “street car strips” began to decline. The Plaza Theater was a lovely neighborhood theater, but by the 1960’s it was a second run discount movie house. In the early-1970’s it became the Plaza Pussycat and ran x-rated movies. Then it closed. The neighborhood continued to decline.
The Plaza/Midwood neighborhood has made a come back, but it was too late for the old movie house, which was destroyed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater