Ed Mirvish Theatre
244 Victoria Street,
7 people favorited this theater
The Pantages was Canada’s largest theater when it opened in 1920. This 3,626 seat palace remained a single screen theater in the Famous Players chain until 15th March 1930 when it was re-named Imperial Theatre. In June 1973 it was divided into six auditoriums and renamed the Imperial Six. Cinema 1 was between the front of the former balcony and the screen. Cinema 2 was the former balcony seating. Cinemas 3 & 4 were in the former backstage. Cinemas 5 & 6 were in the orchestra seating.
The Imperial Six was taken over Cineplex Odeon in May 1986 and was partially renovated, re-opening as the Pantages Cinema in December 1987. This closed in August 1988 and a full restoration project to return the building to a single auditorium was completed fully completed in September 1989.
The theater was re-named Pantages Theatre again and was home to “The Phantom of the Opera” for ten years. Now used mostly for Broadway touring companies, the theater was renamed the Canon Theatre in September of 2001 and in 2011 was renamed Ed Mirvish Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater