Colney Theatre

5621 N. 5th Street,
Philadelphia, PA 19120

Unfavorite 3 people favorited this theater

Showing 3 comments

rivest266
rivest266 on May 21, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Small grand opening ad at http://fultonhistory.com/Newspapers%2023/Philadelphia%20PA%20Inquirer/Philadelphia%20PA%20Inquirer%201925/Philadelphia%20PA%20Inquirer%201925%20-%203803.pdf

also in the photo section.

TheALAN
TheALAN on January 19, 2014 at 3:56 pm

Built between 1924 and 1925, the Colney Theatre opened on Saturday, April 11, 1925 with 1,985 seats. This was two years before “The Jazz Singer” starring Al Jolson would signal the beginning of the era of “talking pictures.” Designed by the architectural firm of Hodgens & Hill, the theater included retail shops and was located near the Olney station of the Broad Street Subway. The marquee read COLNEY THEATRE across the front. The sides (or ends) supported the signboards and were topped off with COLNEY. The massive, illuminated roof sign, framed in chase lights, proclaimed COLNEY with two additional lines reading STANLEY and PHOTOPLAYS. The Colney had previously been operated by the Stanley-Warner Circuit Management Corp. before closing in 1958. Today, additional retail occupies the theater foyer/lobby. The marquee and roof sign are gone now and it is unknown for what purpose the auditorium serves today.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 9, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Looking at the view on Google, the building is still standing. It’s being used for a variety of retail businesses.