Capitol Theater

138 E. South Street,
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Showing 5 comments

atmos
atmos on September 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Theatre opened 18 Nov 1907.

JAlex
JAlex on June 29, 2012 at 12:58 am

The name change from Majestic to Majestic Gardens occurred in November 1918.

JAlex
JAlex on July 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm

According to the Kalamazoo Gazette, the theatre opened in 1907 as an early venture of W. S. Butterfield. Then known as the Majestic, the structure cost $45,000 and was built to seat 1240.

In 1923 fire swept the theatre, then known as Majestic Gardens. In 1924 the theatre reopened as the Capitol.

Theatre closed in the fall of 1976.

Patsy
Patsy on June 9, 2005 at 4:21 am

“The building was demolished to make way for a parking garage.” Shame!