2235 First Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Firms: Miller & Warnecke
Previous Names: Bell Theatre, Livermore Theatre, California Theatre
The State Theatre was the longtime movie building in Livermore, CA. It was located in the Schenone Building in downtown Livermore on First Street. The screen was located in the back of the building along the wall facing Second Street. The State Theatre replaced the original Bell Theatre in Livermore, which was located near the Schenone Building (longtime Livermore residents will know the original location; the Montgomery Ward Catalog Store was later built on the site).
The theatre retained the original Bell Theatre name into the 1920’s. For brief periods it was also known as the Livermore Theatre and the California Theatre. It was finally called the State Theatre in 1931 when it was remodelled to the plans of architectural firm Miller & Warnecke of Oakland. It remained Livermore’s movie theatre until closing on December 22, 1956.
Livermore moved from a small agricultural and ranching community to a residential suburb with the arrival of Lawrence Livermore Laboratories in the 1950’s. With the growth of the city, the State Theatre had too small for the population growth. The Vine Theatre was built approximately ½ mile west of the State Theatre near the intersection of First and P Streets and opened on December 26, 1956. The Schenone Building still stands. For years it housed Dunbar’s Family Amusement Center; it now is home to Quizno’s and has received a new, somewhat controversial paint job.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.