Odeon Kemp Town
38 St. George's Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on 1st February 1934 by the Odeon Theatres chain. Seating was provided on a semi-stadium plan, with 556 in the front stalls and 404 seats on a raised stepped section at the rear. On 14th September 1940, it was badly damaged in a German air raid, and 59 people were killed. It was restored and re-opened on 26th December 1940. The Odeon was closed on 5th November 1960.
Many firms and people tried to buy the freehold and or lease it, to reopen it as a cinema, as it served the whole of East Brighton. Odeon Threatres refused to sell and or lease the building. They reopened it on 12th January 1962 and ran it as a Top Rank Bingo Club until 1973.
In 1972, it became an independent bingo club for a while, then became a religious centre. It was demolished in January 1986, and a block of flats named Cavendish Court was built on the site.
Odd thing about the cinema the screen ran the length, not the width of the building so gave a bigger picture.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater