Odeon Kemp Town

38 St. George's Road,
Kemp Town,
Brighton, BN2

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 5 comments

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on July 25, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Here is a link to a page showing a couple of vintage photographs and a potted history:
View link

Ian on June 23, 2007 at 6:17 pm

A slightly earlier shot of the former cinema here:–

View link

Ian on January 30, 2007 at 8:50 am

Photo of the Odeon Kemp Town in use as a church in 1985/6, shortly before demolition:–


PaulBland on October 8, 2005 at 7:47 am

In the early 1970s it was known as the Kemp Town Bingo and Social Club, presumably not under the Rank banner.

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on December 30, 2004 at 3:29 pm

The street address of the Odeon was 38 St. Georges Road, Kemp Town, Brighton.

It was an original Oscar Deutsch built Odeon (this one a conversion of former stables) which opened on 1st February 1934, the architect was Andrew Mather. The seating capacity was 958 in a stadium style, with no overhanging balcony.

It closed as the Odeon Theatre on 5th November 1960 and lay empty until 1962 when it re-opened as a bingo club. It was used for a short while as a church after bingo ceased and was demolished in January 1986 and a block of flats built on the site.