Latrobe Cinema Grey Street, Traralgon, VIC

Uploaded By

Tiny film

Featured Theater

Latrobe Cinema Grey Street, Traralgon, VIC

Latrobe Cinema

Traralgon, AU

More Photos

Photo Info

Uploaded on: August 22, 2026

Size: 132.2 KB

Views: 18

License:

Latrobe Cinema Grey Street, Traralgon, VIC

Traralgon History - The Valley Theatre Traralgon - contributed by Gerry Kennedy - May 1992

In Traralgon, in 1925, a Town Hall Committee was formed to show movies and these “talkies” continued for over 25 years. In 1948-49 the Health Department closed the Hall due to its disrepair. At this time, there was a move away from picture houses to theatres.

The Lawrence brothers - Josh, Alf and Jim - had 3 circuits based in Pakenham. In 1949 the brothers decided to build a permanent theatre in Traralgon (chosen because of the population growth with S.E.C. development). The Valley Theatre was claimed to be the first Victorian country theatre built from the ground up after World War II.

The Lawrences bought the land in Grey Street from Amby Ryan but there were many difficulties associated with the construction of the theatre. There were many shortages and building materials were rationed in this post-war period, and then the local Council gave approval for Stage 1 (lock-up) but not for Stage 2 (completion). The Lawrence brothers petitioned for support from the local business community but, again, they met opposition. They had to seek political intervention to force the issue to complete Stage 2.

The building was of an innovative design to cut construction costs and minimize the use of scarce building products. The materials used came from various countries - steel roof trusses from England; roofing iron from Japan; nails made from American wire from Japan. Second hand materials were also used, for example, a heating system from the Liberty (Odeon), Melbourne. The external walls were made of reinforced concrete as bricks were unobtainable then. However, the floor was made from Victorian hardwood.

The “Valley Theatre”, named by Jim Lawrence who was the resident Manager, was finally opened in December 1951. Apart from some minor changes it remained structurally unaltered until its closure. It accommodated approximately 900 people, with fixed Dunlopillo chairs in the lounge and flip-up seats in the stalls. The auditorium and foyers were painted in a combination of grey, white and shades of pink. Excluding the projectors, the total cost of the building, furnishings and equipment was £66,000 ($132,000).

The theatre screened 6 nights a week and with matinees on Saturday and often mid-week.

In 1956 there was a “suspicious” fire that damaged the stage area, some front stall seats and smoke damage to the whole theatre. Fortunately, Jim Lawrence and staff were at the theatre taking bookings for “A Man Called Peter” when a patron smelt smoke. Otherwise the damage may well have been more than the reported £8,000 to £10,000. Despite a disclaimer suggesting damage to patrons' clothing, the theatre was re-opened one month later.

During the mid to late Fifties, there was strong competition from the Yallourn and Morwell theatres, drive-ins and television, which led to dwindling patronage at the Valley Theatre.

The Lawrence brothers believed in “family entertainment” and did not show “R” classified movies (other theatres did) but this hastened the demise of the “Valley”. Screenings were reduced to 3 nights a week and the “Valley” closed in May 1973.

Betty and Fred Harden, from Powelltown, who had earlier worked with the Lawrences on touring shows, leased the Valley from the Lawrence brothers and reopened it in June 1973 as “The Latrobe Cinema”. Although the Hardens quickly built up patronage, the arrival of colour T.V. and then videos during the mid-70s saw screenings reduced from 3 nights a week to 2 sessions on Saturday. The Latrobe Cinema finally closed in January 1978.

Since then, the theatre has been used as a temporary church before being converted into a reception centre. Although the original theatre ceiling remains, the building is now used as a Disco.

Gerry, concluded his talk with some interesting snippets about the life of his friend Jim Lawrence. Before moving to Traralgon, in 1949, Jim (an amateur radio operator) had worked with partners showing movies at Korumburra and he later used his expertise to install the projector in the newly-converted Metro in Collins Street, Melbourne.

Jim and his family moved to England before returning to Melbourne in 1939. He worked as a sound recordist and equipment procurement officer and taught film projection part time at R.M.I.T. before joining his brothers in the “Valley Theatre” project.

Contributed by Greg Lynch -

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment