Comments from vaudevillegeek

Showing 4 comments

vaudevillegeek
vaudevillegeek commented about Isis Theatre on Sep 25, 2026 at 7:36 am

Searching newspapers, directories, digital collections at the University of Calgary - I can find no evidence of an Isis Theatre at 1106 11th Avenue, or for two Isis Theatres operating at the same time. I will write a new history for consideration by the site administrators.

vaudevillegeek
vaudevillegeek commented about Isis Theatre on Sep 24, 2026 at 7:11 pm

The 1966 Calgary Herald ads for the MAC 14 production of “Under the Yum Yum Tree” list the address for the Mac Theatre as 1110 1st Street SW. We may need another theatre location, or more information on when the Isis showed films.

vaudevillegeek
vaudevillegeek commented about Park Theatre on Sep 24, 2026 at 5:34 pm

The 1884-1885 edition of Harry Miner’s American Dramatic Directory lists a Park Theatre with W. E. Turner as manager, seating capacity 300, size of stage 14 x22. This may indicate moves or renaming of different theatres. I’m currently trying to figure out if an existing theatre in the database was called the Miles Theater 1917.

vaudevillegeek
vaudevillegeek commented about State Theater on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Wondering about the “Next to the Plaza” quote above. I have been using this web site to find out more about theaters my great-uncle playing in during the 1917-1918 vaudeville era, and I have a newspaper ad clipping from The Plaza Theatre circa September 1917.

Was the Plaza renamed to the State?