S. 60th Street and Cedar Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Nixon-Nirdlinger Theaters
Architects: David Supowitz
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Abbe Art Cinema
A neighborhood theatre in Cobbs Creek district, West Philadelphia. The Cedar Theatre was opened in 1913. It was equipped with a Kimball 2 manual 6 ranks organ. In October 1939 it was given a Streamline Moderne style makeover to the plans of architect David Supowitz.
When its policy shifted to adults-only, the operators tried the oldest trick in the book: adopting a name that would place them at the beginning of the alphabetical listings in the papers. Thus the Cedar Theatre became the Abbe Art Cinema on September 24, 1959, initially screening foreign movies before turning to adult movies.
Something called the Aarde Cinema knocked the Abbe Art Cinema out of first place in the early-1970’s listings and VCRs killed off its business when it closed on October 27, 1972.
It was eventually demolished and a new building on the site contained Gino’s Restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.