Arenas Cine Gay
Carrer de Tarragona 5-7,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Balana
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Cine Arenas
Located close to the Barcelona Bull Ring and the Placa, the Cine Arenas opened on 25th December 1928 with a triple bill programme “The Blue Danube”, “Amores de Ninos” (Loves of Children or Children of Love?) with Laura La Plante and “Sombras en la Noche (Secrets of the Night-1924) with Madge Bellamy. It had a seating capacity of 1,500. The main entrance of the cinema was located at Carrer De La Creu Coberta 22-24.
On 28th February 1929 it staged the first of many variety shows and on 5th July 1930 a Festival of Opera was organised with artistes from the Theatre de l'Opera Paris appearing.
It was renovated in 1943 and was taken over by the Balana chain. In later years, during the 1960’s, the programming tended towards sexploitaion films. On 4th November 1990, it suffered damage from a small fire caused by the heating system.
In around 2003, the original main entrance was closed and the foyer and possibly part of the original rear of the auditorium, is now in use as an Outlet sports shop.
A new entrance was made to the cinema at the rear of the building, at Carrer de Tarragona 5-7, and is accessed down a short alley named Carrer De La Diplotacio, opposite the Bull Ring. The cinema has been screening gay porn movies for many years in its 392 seat auditorium, which is located in the former front orchestra seating and stage of the original Cine Arenas. Seating is quite new and there are double ‘love’ seats in the back rows. Internally, there is nothing remaining of its decorative details.
The Arenas Cine Gay had its own large licenced bar and games room and was very popular. Despite this it was closed in 2015, and was demolished in November 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.