Loew's Lexington Theatre
571 Lexington Avenue,
5 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: William H. McElfatrick
Previous Names: Lexington Avenue Opera House, Biltmore Theatre
The 3,100-seat Lexington Avenue Opera House was opened by Oscar Hammerstein in 1910. There were 40 boxes arranged in four tiers on each side of the proscenium. In 1914 it was equipped with a Moller 3 manual, 33 ranks organ which had its organ chambers in the ceiling above the auditorium. In January 1916 it was taken over by an independent operator and was renamed Biltmore Theatre, becoming a movie theatre with vaudeville as part of the program. In 1918 it was sold off by the bank and had several operators until late-1923 when it was taken over by Marcus Loew. A new Moller 3 Manual 28 ranks theatre organ was installed. The top (3rd) balcony was closed off and the seating capacity was reduced to 2,500-seats. It operated as a movie & vaudeville house. In early-1927 a Wurlitzer Style 260 special 3 manual 16 ranks theatre organ was installed. This organ was removed from the building in 1930 and was installed in the RKO Proctor’s 86th Street Theatre.
Loew’s Lexington Theatre was closed on April 3, 1960. It was demolished in 1961 and the Summit Hotel was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.