Wilson Avenue Theater
1050 W. Wilson Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Double Door (Official)
Previously operated by: Jones, Linick & Schaefer
Architects: Henry L. Ottenheimer
The Wilson Avenue Theater opened July 19, 1909 as one of the first large venues in the Uptown neighborhood, showing two vaudeville performances nightly. It was designed by Henry L. Ottenheimer and built at a cost of $50,000 for the Jones, Linick, Shaefer circuit. The theater seated 600 on the main floor and 300 in the balcony. The interior was described as pretty, and in buff and gold, with a mural over the proscenium, while the opening night show was not such a pretty sight.
Acts from the American Music Hall in the Loop frequently performed there. In 1919 it was converted to a bank, Fidelity Bank. Later it was the Uptown State Bank, Federal Trust and Savings Bank, and then the Bank of Chicago. It was last named TCF Bank, with a mural on one side visible from the El and a trompe l'eoil mural on the other. The interior still looks like a cross between a theater and a bank.
In November 2018 plans were announced to convert the building into a live music venue Double Door, which had a 2022 planned opening. The planned opening was missed, but conversion continues in early-2023.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.