5508 Germantown Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp.
Firms: Druckenmiller & Stackhouse
Previous Names: Germantown Theatre
The Germantown Theatre, formerly located at 5508 Germantown Avenue, just above School House Lane, was one of Germantown’s earliest theatres. It had 1,168 seats and was built at a cost of $50,000. When built in 1910, it was dubbed “The Pride of Germantown”. This was an all-purpose theatre used for stage shows, stock productions and movies. Like most theatres built back in the early days, it also had a Wurlitzer organ that was used to entertain between shows and at intermission. This instrument had 3 manuals, This theatre was distinctive in its ornate exterior façade arch, which was also duplicated inside.
On October 25, 1940, the Germantown Theatre was renamed Vernon Theatre and used solely for movies, operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. and opening with Tyrone Power in “Brigham Young, Frontiersman”. At that time it was given a modern plain façade. It was purchased and closed on May 27, 1951 with Doris Day in “Lullaby of Broadway”. The intention was to convert it into stores and offices, but it was demolished later in 1951.
A fenced off garden now occupies the space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.