5611-5613 22nd Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Crystal Theatre, New Strand Theatre, Norge Theatre
The Crystal Theatre was opened December 5, 1913. It was remodelled and reopened as the Strand Theatre on September 4, 1920 with Olive Thomas in “The Glorious Lady”. The Strand Theatre served Kenosha’s Old West Side on the former Howland Avenue (now 22nd Avenue) and was a plain brick-front theatre with double-hung front windows. The Strand Theatre offered silent films and vaudeville programs right up until until esarly-1927 when it closed.
The Strand Theatre was renamed the Norge Theatre, reopening on April 4, 1927 with Wallace Beery in “Behind the Front”. It was very likely named to honor the then-timely adventures of the famed airship Norge (pronounced “NOR-gay”). It seems the film accompaniment was via a piano, and some local amateur acts were offered.
A longtime area resident told of attending the 1927 “The Phantom of the Opera” when the nitrate film caught fire and the quick-thinking projectionist grabbed the flaming reel and pitched it out the south window onto the pavement.
After the Norge-nee-Strand Theatre closed, the building was the Pacetti Food Shop for decades, and by the 1970’s was the Second Time Around furniture retail store and factory.
The end came for the building in early-1982 when a freak heavy wet overnight snowstorm weakened the façade, bulging it outward visibly. Alarmed passers-by notified city inspectors who barricaded the area and ordered immediate demolition. The lot is now a paved parking lot for area businesses.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.