48 Church Road,
3 people favorited this theater
Firms: Harry W. Weedon Partnership
Styles: Art Deco
Located in Hendon, north London. This was the last of the original Oscar Deutsch built Odeon Theatres to open before the outbreak of World War II. It opened on 28th August 1939 with Laurence Olivier in “Q Planes”.
It was located in a residential area of Hendon on the corner of Church Road and Parson Street, as opposed to the Ambassador Cinema which was in a prime location besides shops and opposite Hendon Central underground railway (tube) station.
The Odeon was designed by Robert Bullivant from the Harry Weedon firm of architects and had all the hallmarks in style of a typical ‘Odeon’. There was a slab tower, a rounded corner which formed the entrance (similar to the Odeon Leicester) and the only difference to the majority of Odeons was the elevation was in brick, rather than in cream faiance tiles.
Inside the auditorium there were two large light fittings over the balcony and a stepped ceiling rising up from the top of the proscenium which held concealed lighting. The splay wall on each side of the proscenium had horizontal bands of plaster which contained concealed lighting.
The Odeon closed on 13th January 1979 with Robert Shaw in “Force 10 From Navarone”. The building was untouched from its opening, although looking a little jaded. It was demolished in December 1981 and a block of flats/sheltered housing for the retired named Ferrydale Lodge was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.