1702 Haight Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Golden State Theater & Realty Corp.
Previous Names: Haight Street Theatre, Straight Theater
News About This Theater
- Jul 31, 2014 — Remembering Bay Area cinemas
Located in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco at the corner of Haight Street and Cole Street. The 800-seat Haight Street Theatre was opened on March 8, 1910. It was designed by architects Kenneth McDonald Jr. & George Adrian Applegarth in an Art Nouveau style. It was remodeled and enlarged to 1,500-seats when a balcony seating area was added in 1916, to the plans of architect Mateo Matanovitch. The proscenium was 34ft wide and it had a fully equipped stage which was 19ft deep. It was equipped with a Kimball 2 manual theatre organ.
On March 5, 1937 it was remodeled in a Streamline Moderne style to the plans of architects Marc T. Jorgensen & Otto A. Deichmann and the seating capacity was reduced to 1,310-seats. It was operated by the Golden State Theatre Circuit. It was closed as a movie theatre in 1964. Later renamed Straight Theater hosting rock concerts, it was demolished in August 1979. A Goodwill store now operates from the building which was built also containing apartments on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.