Gala Pavilion Cinema
78/80 St. Mary Street,
Cardiff,
CF10 1FA
78/80 St. Mary Street,
Cardiff,
CF10 1FA
No one has favorited this theater yet
Showing 10 comments
Following extensive exterior restoration and internal adaptation the Philharmonic Hall now trades as a “Coyote Ugly” bar.Adjacent buildings,(originally built as a hotel and restaurant trading under the Philharmonic name) have also been modernised internally and refurbished as a pub/restaurant,once again called the “Philharmonic”.
Recently published photographs reveal that when the Panopticon became the Pavilion the original small entrance was still in use.The enlarged foyer and canopy , as restored for the now closed pub,was added shortly afterwards. In 2013 plans to adapt the building for a new use were proposed.
Have loaded a picture from the ABC Days….
An exterior shot of the Philharmonic Hall here:–
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stagedoor/5066661745/
Plans now located reveal that only minor alterations were carried out by Biocolour, and ABC’s alterations dated December 1934 mostly involved rearrangement of the upstairs seating, in particular in the front part of the balcony where stepping was improved as was the seat pitch. The best of the existing seating was moved downstairs where spacing was marginally improved.
In a letter to the planning authority W.R.Glen gave details showing that the overall effect would be, Stalls 765 to 752, Balcony 326 to 308 “chairs”, providing “greater comfort to patrons” and improved access to Balcony stairways
I can recall spending a few days of doing relief at this cinema some time around the early 1960s.The equipment was extremely ropey and badly maintained with the sound system having been rehoused in an old tin traveller’s trunk. The film we projected was also weird, a rough print possessing the title “Mondo Carne”. Basically a documentary with no plot whatsoever which was shown to an almost non existent audience.Thinking retrospectively,with films of that quality, it must have been a miracle that the Gala stayed in the film business as long as it did.
Further details of the early history of the Philharmonic Hall including drawings of the interior can be found in the “Western Mail” available at Cardiff Library on a searchable computer archive.
The building is currently undergoing external repair and is hidden by scaffolding (Sep 2008)
Some of the building plans now located show many of the features of the building have survived several of the updates, though the side balconies supported on steel columns were lost (probably when the balcony was re-built for Bingo).
The present entrance and foyer is not original but has been very carefully constructed to resemble the old building.
Further research will be required to determine the extent of the work carried out to plans by W Glen ca 1929, probably for the new lessee ABC.
Photos of the Philharmonic Hall can be found here:–
View link
View link
View link
Correction- date should read 1876.
Further information delayed as archived plans are not currently available.