Roxy Theatre
Main Street,
Olney,
IL
62450
Main Street,
Olney,
IL
62450
No one has favorited this theater yet
Showing 1 comment
Just a skeletal synopsis (none of this information was provided by Bryan Krefft, if that is the indication in this entry - it also is in error). The Elks replaced the J.F. Hyatt Opera House after its fire of 1910 (see photo). The building was located at 323 South Kitchell Street. Grand opening ads as the Elks Theatre on January 30, 1913 (in photos), the New Elks on April 1, 1934 (in photos) and the New Roxy (formerly the Elks) February 21, 1941 (in photos).
Phil H. Heyde took over operation of the venue in November 1921 as primarily as a full time movie house with some events. Heyde closed the venue in 1931 unable to convert to sound despite an announcement of its impending installation late in 1931. He remodeled and added sound returning the Elks to active operation in 1934. After a brief foray to live events in early 1935, Frisina Amusement took over the venue as the “New” Elks in 1935 and full time films likely on a 20-year subleasing agreement.
The name was changed back to the Elks Theatre by new Manager John Strum after a refresh beginning on April 12, 1946 (ad in photos) closing in 1955 at end of leasing agreement with an in person event by Ferlin Husky being the highlight of its final partial year of operation. The Elks turned Roxy turned back to Elks was dismantled in November of 1955 for use in the expansion of its restaurant / grill. The building was demolished for a new Elks Club.