313 S. Wrenn Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Point Theatre, High Point Theatre, American Theatre
Originally the Point Theatre which opened on April 1, 1915. It was later renamed High Point Theatre and on September 1, 1924 it was renamed American Theatre. The Paramount Theatre was opened on December 25, 1930 by the Publix-Saenger chain with Chester Morris in “The Bat Whispers”. The theatre had two balconies and was in an Art Deco style. Later operated by Key Theatres, then by Martin Theatres, who it closed on November 19, 1970 and they opened their Martin Twin Theatres the following day.
The building was owned by the City of High Point. A bond was passed to restore the theatre to live theatre use. About this time, Southern Furniture, who basically occupied the majority of the surrounding block, wanted the theatre property. They wanted it so bad that they promised to build a theatre inside the new exposition building, that was state of art, thereby saving the City of High Point considerable money. The Paramount Theatre was demolished in 1972.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.