5-7 Dereham Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Art Deco
The Regal Cinema was built by Norwich builders Thomas Gill & Son (architect:unknown) and took four and half months to build. It opened on 16th April 1938 with Nelson Eddy & Jeannette MacDonald in "Rose Marie". It was operated by independent exhibitor Victor E. Harrison. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels and there was a cafe for the convenience of patrons.
The Regal Cinema was closed in the early 1960’s and was converted into the Mayfair Bingo Club in the mid-1960’s. This closed in 1990 and the building was boarded up.
It was purchased by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs and refurbished, retaining some of the original features, but hiding from view, the circle seating area and ceiling behind a false ceiling. It re-opened on 1st September 1999 as the City Gate pub. It has now been re-named Regal. By August 2014 it was operating as a restaurant known as Merge.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.