426 S. Salina Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Firms: Merrick & Randall
Previous Names: Temple Theater, RKO Schine Paramount Theatre
The Temple Theater was opened on August 10 1914 with vaudeville, plus movies. It was designed by architectural firm Merrick & Randall. It had a seating capacity of 1,800, with 1,000 of them on the main orchestra floor. It was taken over by Publix in 1929 and they remodeled it to the plans of architect Thomas Lamb and was reopened on December 5, 1929 as the Paramount Theater, opening with Eddie Cantor in “Glorifying the American Girl”. It was later operated by Warner Bros and later RKO who involved Schine Theatres and it was renamed RKO Schine Paramount Theatre in fall of 1935 It was closed on April 15, 1967. It was demolished in August-October 1967 along with its neighbor, the RKO Keith’s Theater. Like the Keith’s, the Paramount Theater remained a first-run house until it closed.
Built before the Loew’s State Theater, the Paramount Theater, Thomas Lamb also designed the Loew’s State Theatre, RKO Keith’s Theatre and the Strand Theatre in Syracuse, but the Paramount Theater was not as large as those three. The Paramount Theater may also have been substantially modernized when it become the first Syracuse theater converted to CinemaScope in late-1953 presenting Richard Burton in “The Robe”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.