30 Main Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated Prudential Theaters Inc.
Architects: Douglas Pairman Hall
Styles: Tudor Revival
This, the second theatre to bear the Edwards name, was constructed by the Edwards family to replace the original which had been fashioned out of retail space somewhere else in town. The closing of the original coincided with the opening of the new on August 30, 1926. At the time it was the eastern most theatre on the South Shore of Long Island. Although originally seating 1,000, capacity was reduced to 825 during a renovation in 1951.
The facade of the building was in a half-timbered old English style with cream colored stucco. There was no balcony, but the sloped floor created a stadium atmosphere. The general color scheme was brown, red and gold, to give the atmosphere of an English country home.
An article in the East Hampton Star indicated an orchestra would play at the opening and possibly, until an organ was delivered in November.
Despite the touted presence of fireproof walls, the theatre was destroyed by fire on April 14, 1964. The wall didn’t burn. All but the front wall collapsed when the domed ceiling fell. Five other businesses housed in the two story complex were also displaced. At the time of the fire the Edwards Theatre was being managed by Prudential Theatres circuit which dominated Suffolk County.
The East Hampton Cinema 6 was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.