Rue du College 28,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Salle Beriot, Grand Cinema Beriot, Astoria Cinema
Located in Rue du Colleg 28, near the Place Fernand Coqu, the town hall of Ixelles. The nearest cinema was the Piron Cinema (former Flora Cinema) at 156 Chaussée D'Ixelles. It opened as a theatre in 1895 became a cinema prior to 1910 under the name Beriot Cinem, and was also named Kursaal D'Ixelles and Astoria Cinema during the two wars.
After the Second World War, it was re-named the Monty Cinema, as a tribute to General Montgomery, like its neighbour the Piron Cinema was a tribute to the Gelgian General. The Monty Cinema was an all family cinema screening many westerns.
It closed first in 1977 after beeing an Arabian cinema, in 1982 the distributor Ciné Libre decided to reopen it with 3 screens, and with a more art house programming, like David Lynch’s “Eraserhead”. It re-opened again in 1984. “The World According to Garp” was showed there and it closed again. Claude Dioury, director of the Styx had a great project 3 or 4 screens, more like a tavern and bar, but the project failed due financial problems and the bad name of the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.