No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Odeon Theatres Ltd.
Previous Names: Empire Music Hall, Empire Theatre
By 1835 the building was Worcester Public Library and Hastings Museum. In the 1860’s the museum was remodelled as the Victoria Institute. It later became the Empire Music Hall, and later operated as the Empire Theatre until 1912, when it became the Empire Picture Palace. In 1914, the Empire Picture Palace was taken over by Sir Arthur Carlton, who owned and ran the Theatre Royal, also in the city centre (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures). Carlton upgraded the building and re-named it Silver Cinema in 1915.
In January 1929 it was taken over by Oscar Deutsch & associates. It became part of Oscar Deutsch’s Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain on 17th July 1935. The Silver Cinema was closed in March 1939 and was immediately demolished, to build a new Odeon Theatre on the site. (It has its own page on Cinema Treasures)
Although building work on the new Odeon was almost completed as World War II commenced in September 1939, the Odeon didn’t open until 2nd January 1950.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.