21-22 Marine Parade,
7 people favorited this theater
Architects: Theophilus Arthur Allen
Previous Names: Kursaal, Electric Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jul 29, 2005 — Dome Cinema Closes for £2.2 Million Renovation
A wonderful example of a fantastic Edwardian period picture house. It opened on 15th April 1911 as a multi-purpose entertainment centre known as the Kursaal (which included use as a roller skating rink), and it also contained a 120 seat cinema located upstairs that was known as the Electric Theatre which opened on 7th October 1911.
The main hall (former roller rink) was converted into the Dome Cinema by 1921 and it originally contained 875 seats. The former Electric Theatre then became a restaurant.
The building underwent a full heritage Lottery funded restoration/renovation, closing in June 2005 and re-opening on 6th July 2007 with 580 seats in the original auditorium and a second 118 seat cinema in another part of the building.
The Dome Cinema is a Grade II* Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.