Norwest 1 & 2 Theatres
17630 Grand River Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: United Detroit Theaters
Architects: Hector G. Payne
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Norwest Theatre
News About This Theater
The Art Deco style Norwest Theatre opened in 1936, designed by Hector Payne, who also designed the Varsity Theatre the same year. The Norwest Theatre could seat 1,366 and was a first run house until closing around 1978.
In 1979, it was reopened as a bargain second-run house, by Robert Sloan, who also operated the sadly demolished Art Deco style Metro Mercury Theatre as well, which was located not far from the Norwest Theatre.
At some point during the 1980s, the theater was twinned, becoming the Norwest 1 & 2, with total seating reduced to about 1,100.
The Norwest 1 & 2 was closed in 2000 the animated feature films “Chicken Run” & “Thomas and the Magic Railroad”. It was torn down in August of 2004 to make way for a fast-food restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.